Friday, November 27

Most Valued

The Legend of the Bluebonnet by Tomie de Paola

The Legend of the Bluebonnet is currently my assigned book for this week among my tutorial students.  It talks about a girl named She-Who-Is-Alone who loved her most valued possession of a doll.  The doll was the only reminder of her past and of her family, like a shadow, from the distant past. 





There was no rain so the parched lands had brought famine and drought to the People called Comanche.  When they summoned the Great Spirits, they were told that a sacrifice was needed.  That sacrifice was to offer their most valued possessions.   When a sacrifice is made, the drought and famine will cease and life will be restored to the Earth and to the People.

Sacrificing her most valued possession


While the rest of the People were debating whether to give a new bow or a special blanket for burning. She-Who-Is-Alone went up the hill, burned her special doll and scattered the ashes to the four points of the Earth.  Miraculously when the girl woke up, the whole land where the scattered ashes had fallen had turned into a field of blue flowers.  This became a sign of forgiveness from the Great Spirits. 




As I grow older, the material gains diminish its value compared to the more abstract things in life.  The images of friendships, love, forgiveness, empathy and gratitude comes into mind.  Of most valued would be my ongoing relationship with the people around me be it from work, from blogging, or from my friends around the globe.  Of most prayed would be love, not for myself but for all. Of most asked would be forgiveness from all the things I have done to others and to those who had done me wrong.  Of most practised would be empathy to model to others a more open heart towards many social issues. Of most shared is thankfulness, of gratitude, to those who have been with me throughout and to all the blessings in life. 

This Christmas, make a difference.  

When it is difficult to forget, we could probably forgive.  

When it is difficult to laugh, we could probably smile. 

When it is difficult to move on, we could probably do our first step. 

When it is difficult to find love, nurture friendship.  

When it is difficult to have peace, offer a prayer. 

When it is difficult to live, stop and see in your heart why you are still alive. 

Have a lovely weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Lovely story Cher Jo.... But i do not want to be a hypocrite. I still aspire to live in that Tuscan villa of my dreams, own my own palatial house, an apartment in Rome, and business empire. That's all I want for Christmas. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent scenario and doable. The story was asking us not to be selfish but to be giving, sharing and loving. This means you are gonna share your villa to me, give me an opportunity to know you and love you as a gracious host/hostess, he,he,he.

    Kidding aside, I wish all the best. May your wishes come true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me think... What would I give? What would I bring? Fit for a sacrifice for others....

    This story is heartwarming, eye-opening and selfless...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought of that one too and had written them in my notes. Will probably make another post as part 2, dunno.

    Yes, selfless is the word and sometimes, it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always admire your thoughts and wisdom for a young man at your age.
    I do agree that we need to be selfless and be compassionate enough to love and forgive everyone. My colleague Accountant is currently going through the worst marriage crisis and I have to be his pillar. I am using all your wise words to cheer him up Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind words Mr. Twilight Man and please tell your colleague that having a broken marriage is not the end but a learning experience. Sometimes, we part ways for a reason we cannot understand but the distance alone and time may heal our broken souls and hearts. Be the pillar and in your own little ways, you will reap more good karma along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "When it is difficult to find love, nurture friendship."

    This will always remind me sir Jo that friendship will be something worth keeping for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. True to the core. Good friends though difficult to find, will never leave you. So nurture their friendship everytime you are back home.

    ReplyDelete