Saturday, December 19

Off to Sisaket!

Bike for Dad along Highway 24
It was surprising to learn that we will have a Friday off because of the BIke For Dad event organized in Thailand where people get to ride their bicycle and tour the cities in honour of the King's birthday. And because I have no bike, I decided to leave the city and went hundreds of kilometres away from Bangkok to escape boredom in a car. 


And as I had been most province in the North and West, I decided to try going Northeast.  When I do travel, I make it a point to just eat noodles because they are not so heavy in the stomach. But this time, it was different because the restaurant I ended visiting served two of my fave dishes, Som Tam (papaya salad) and chicken, eaten with sticky rice. 



Fried Duck Beaks
Chicken, Som Tam and Sticky Rice




I managed to eat all of the salad and had a taste of the duck's beak.  I wasn't sure which part of the beak I am supposed to eat so I asked.












I arrived the province of Sisaket after a long nine hours ride and though I wanted to stay at the national park, all bungalows were occupied.  Found a home stay where I was immediately devoured by allergies because of the diversity of smell surrounding me.


Some of the beauties I saw during stop-overs.


As the room was right in front of a restaurant, the many spices and dried food displayed struggled violently with the smell of the room and the bathroom giving me a non stopped encounter with the box of tissues.  My allergy meds didn't work till I went to bed. At 4:48 am, I was awakened by the barking dog then at 5:07, the roosters started crowing.  It was a cacophony of sounds worthy of a kill. Argh!!!!

I had coffee and left the place to finally take a trip to Khao Phra Viharn National Park. It was a worthy visit for the mountainous region gave me a glimpse of the neighbouring country Cambodia. I specifically wanted to see Prasart Khao Phra Vihan but the park gave no permission for us to cross over. This sanctuary once belonged to Thailand but after a ruling, the sanctuary belongs to Cambodia until now.  I stood right where the mountainous borders of both countries visibly surrounded by armed soldiers. I could see the Wat or temple from a distance using powerful binoculars provided within the premises. 


Prasart Khao Phra Vihan from a distance

Barb wires, hideouts, Bas relief sculptures and stick art
surround the area.

From near and far, a beauty to behold.

Tiring yet fulfilling and lucky that I get to see another part of the country in a very, short time. Time to visit another one!

7 comments:

  1. You are always funny and never failed to make my day with giggles.
    I would have screamed and suffered with all the dog barks & cock crows. That only happened during my growing up years at my grandpa's house in Songkhla where he kept so many chickens and dogs! What a real Thai memories you have triggered for me toady. 55555

    I have heard of Sisaket and the places you ventured but had little idea how they looked. Earlier I was also curious about this Prasart Khao Phra Vihan during the border cross fires but realised it was a small relic. You actually snapped that Prasart Khao Phra Vihan through the binoculars!!! So geng! I should be contented with the bigger ruins and relics seen in Angkor Wat and Bali. Anyways, you are truly an interesting traveler with adventurous spirit. Where are your next destinations in Thailand to conquer>>??

    Have you ever visited my hometown Penang in Malaysia? Always voted for the top best place to eat and live in the world.


    ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not been to Songkhla so that could be a possible trip next time. I am going on a Northeast loop this New Year passing Nakhon Ratchasima and elsehwre but spending the New Year at Chiangkan in Loei. I will probably pass Khon Kaen and Udon Thani as well. Will be blogging about it next year.

    My grandparents also have plenty of animals that they take care of. I ended taking care of them when I grew older. I love dogs so the barking was fine, but the continous crowing at 5 is a no-no. Next time I stay in a home, I will have to ask if they have chickens or any animals to be exact.

    I have not been to Bali and this is also in my list to visit. Angkor Wat is magnificent and I enjoyed my travel in there because it was a reunion of friends when I visited Cambodia. I have been to Penang twice and KL many times. I have three great friend in KL and I do visit them once in a while, all three Malaysian Chinese and we get to eat all the best Chinese food ever. The only thing I remember eating at Penang was KFC because I was with a foreigner, a British person I met inside the plane and became a travel buddy for a day.

    I have lots of interesting stories when I was in Penang but they are quite foggy now in my memory. I do remember being asked for marriage thou.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey man, who proposed to you and why you declined?? You must be a cute and charming guy. You should be blogging about Penang days since you have lots of interesting stories. Sad that you recall only a KFC meal and not their famed Assam Laksa and Char Koay Teow. Hope you go again please. KL is a boring city, but you have good friends!

    Songkhla is also a very boring place and the beaches in Hua Hin or around Phuket are better!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be cute and charming, 555! If I can still recall the stories, I will post them next time. I need to do a search so I can name the hotels and everything. I know KL is a boring city but I go because of my vibrant friends. One of them even sent me to IKEA so I can go around like a child in a candy store. Funny that IKEA opened in Thailand and I haven't been there.

    I have been to Phuket twice and Hua Hin numerous times that's why I asked about Songkhla. Anyway, look out for my next post, it's Buriram time! Are you a member of FB? Try adding me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to look you up in FB but had no idea which one as there is no Thailand connections. Email me please twilightzone518@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, how was the beak? That dish looks really interesting.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was tiring Ms. Lili but a good escape from school. The dish is outstanding and I actually enjoyed the deck beaks. He,he,he.

    ReplyDelete