Monday, December 21

A Short Trip to Buriram


After a short stay in the province of Sisaket, another hundreds of kilometres again was traveled and this time, to the province of Buriram.  I ended in the southern part and visited the famous Prasat Hin Phanom Rung.

The path leading to the temple was not hard to reach but the stones were uneven so it was quite a challenge for those who were wearing slippers.  It was a long way to go, climbing up some short stairs and then a steep one. 

Grand entrance steps and my fave pic for this trip!

There were many locals visiting the site and aplenty of selfies and photo ops were seen. It was difficult to photograph the entire facade because of the people but I got one where a monk was about to enter the grounds. 





The Phanom Rung temple complex is the largest and best-restored Khmer monument in Thailand.  It took 17 years to complete the restoration. (lonelyplanet.com) With only twenty minutes of climbing and I was already panting, I ended seeing only half of the complex.



And because I was so tired, I was clicking away without even knowing what I was taking photos of.  All I see were ruins and same as my health, ruined! Time for restoration!




This was a former library called Banalai where religious documents were kept. This Banalai was built in the beginning of 12th century A.D. in Bayon style by the last King Jayavaraman VII of Cambodia.

Remnants of the library


No place is ever grand when there are no trees but this Khmer site is filled with large trees well-taken care through time.  The grass alone is so green and it looks like a carpeted floor leading to the majestic temple of Phanom Rung. Magnificent!


9 comments:

  1. This magnificent place Buriram doesn't sound Thai nor looks like a place in Thailand. It is interesting to note how these ancient history brought the temple and culture together as a hot tourist spot today. I doubt I would ever have the fate to visit. Never mind, Jonathan has so kindly shared his trip with the world. I have always loved the history of Khmer, Bayon and Hinduism!
    You took very nice shots of the saffron robe monks which made the place more holy and serene. Why you have stopped doing jumping poses now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is another place I visited last month which also boast of ancient structures and holy ground but didn't make a post out of it. It is located in Between Sangklaburi and Kanchanaburi. Maybe I should for comparisons, 5555!

    I do not have any jump shots anymore because I usually trek by myslef and very shy to ask a stranger to do the shots for me. I did jump shots wiht my trips last year and so this year was more , calmer and subdued. I am already thinking of how to make my next year's trips interesting.

    I am currently making a youtube video of this year's travels and will be posted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's beautiful. It's old and beautiful and amazing and it's like stepping out into another world. I wish to visit this place too.. I didnt know that Thailand was also under the Khmer influence.. akala ko yung cambodia and other regions lang.. gotta read more pa! javascript:void(0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, better do the Cambodia one for endless adventures with old structures. This place is amazing as well, well maintained and had never been heard of until I stumbled upon it on my way to Nakhon Ratchasima. I usually travel and when I spot one thing, I do stop so it is a never ending surprise for me. I still have one Khmer inspired site to publish later. Have a great day Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ang ganda and it's nice to see how the people managed to preserve such treasure.. very distinctive talaga yung mga ancient architecture ng Thailand and Cambodia.. sana mapuntahan ko din ito someday hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Akala ko din sa Siem Reap, Cambodia ito. Sana maexperience ko mag punta sa mga ganito sa mga susunod na travel ko.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Blue,

    What makes it last is the dedication of the people who preserves them, and also some budget from the government. The site asks for entrance fees but very minimal and with the money, I supposed they use them wisely. One day, you'll be there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course Rix, you can do it if not now then later. Masyado ka kasing busy but after this haggardness, you'll be free.

    ReplyDelete