Thursday, December 18

In Exchange of... (December 18, 2008)

There is this village that I always dread to visit because of the guards. The guards are devious. The way they look down at people when they asked for their ID cards or any form of identifications. One cannot enter unless we give them a card but that is not the problem for me. The problem is the way they ask, they give you a sneer while giving salutes and graceful bows to those with cars (non-residence) or white people (no Id asked). I always tell myself that brown people are not the only one capable of stealing but others as well. It is not about the colours, it is about need.

Here comes a car…salute!

Here comes someone on a bike…change ID!

Here comes a farang (Caucasian)… sawatdee krub!

Here comes someone on a motorcycle taxi (brown skinned)…where you go?!!!!

An acquaintance told me to buy a car so that when I go to that village, I will in a small way, earn respect. Whoa! I will earn respect if I buy a car. Then the next question is, what kind of car?

Here comes a Toyota…change ID!

Here comes a Volvo…sawatdee krub!

Here comes a Benz…arun sawat!

Here comes a limousine…everybody salute!

Life is funny! Some people are weird!

1 comment:

  1. Hay. Another form of dicrimination. The world is getting crazier by the minute.

    ReplyDelete