Friday, February 20

Yakov and the Seven Thieves



Yakov and the Seven Thieves is one of Madonna's literary books for children. Written on the front flap is an introduction to this book inspired by the Baal Shem Tov, a great teacher who lived in the Ukraine in the 18th century.

To quote the author, "It is a story about how all of us have the ability to unlock the gates of Heaven - no matter how unworthy we think we are. For when we go against our selfish natures, we make miracles happen, in our lives and in the lives of others. We must never forget that hidden behind a large amount of darkness is a large amount of light."

The illustrations done by Gennady Spirin are delightful to the senses. The patterns on gold paper for both front and back covers are amazing. The pictures are life-like and full of details. It is not surprising then for this master to receive four gold medals from different institutions.

The book opens up hope for those who are lost in their faith. It is indeed reassuring that not only those who are religious and church goers are good as there are many individuals whose goodness are selflessly shared towards others. The goodness in one's heart is not enough to buy us a piece of heaven. The kindness in one's life is not just to earn us merit. Being good means not just to oneself but also to others.

So when I lend you money, am I being good? So when I don't volunteer my time to charity, am I being bad? So when I say thank you, am I being polite? So when I give a negative remark, am I being nasty? Who is to measure since we are not absolute? We have choices, we just have to make them right.

3 comments:

  1. a book review! :)

    looks like its a great read. it's the first time i have heard about this book and the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @lucas- Madonna, the author, is the same person who is an accomplished musical artist. This book is her best in my opinion, one of her five notable books for children.

    I had been reviewing children's literature (25 reviews at present) and was asked by a publsihing company to review one for them. I collect children's books and I have 1,928 books both classics and award winners.

    Many thanks for visiting and commenting. I have to tell you that I find your blog entries thought provoking to think that you are just 22. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's goodness in all of us, ryt?

    and what do you know (LOL!) I have just posted my fourth literature. Please dont take it seriously.

    ReplyDelete