Saturday, February 28

Growing Love (February 28, 2009)



Many years ago, I was given a hanging plant by a colleague in school as a birthday present. It doesn't bear any flowers but the plantlets were simply adorable. Fast forward time and I have to say that I have more than a hundred of the same plant because of continuous cuttings and plantings. However, it is only this month that I realized that this plant bear flowers but teenie tiny white ones and how lucky I am.

Like the plant given to me, I was fortunate to be blessed with good life, friends, a job and a family. And for many years, I struggled to belong, to be a part, and to make something different. In time, my efforts were rewarded with gratitude, prayers, material things, and love.

I commented once in another blog that I have parents with reserved expressive sides. They had never shown love through physical gestures. They have shown love by providing us with food, shelter and education. Even if the display of affection was lacking, I knew that they love us, their children. And I was silent when I was asked if I show my affection to my parents through words. The answer was no. But I have tried to show them in other ways through respect, kindness and understanding. So in our own little ways, we show our love to each other not by big hugs and loud emotions but by acknowledging each other's presence all the time. Love in a family should not stop, it should always be growing.

I wanted to grow old and be acknowledged as well. I wanted to be seen and heard. I wanted to be loved. I only have one family, but I have a lot of loving to do.

4 comments:

  1. I have just noticed... You have a pic of flowers in most of your posts.

    ___________________________

    You're lucky to be loved by your family and friends. Some has no one in their life....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a garden and the flowers in my posts are from that garden. The flowers in the header is from my garden too. What I do is use the distinct feature of a certain flower or plant to make an analogy with the post I am writing.
    You're the first one to notice :)

    We sometimes take for granted things around us because they are there. However, I do still acknowledge their presence by loving them.

    Your constant visits are always welcome. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...I have a lot of loving to do"


    Hmmmm. I kinda like this last line. There's just too much love in the world. Limitless.

    Like your hanging plant, let's spread love until it's everywhere. Hehe. Last post on the love month eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was forced to write this and I'm glad I did. It is a realization to something I was being selfish of, wanting to be loved without loving in return.

    You are in a way responsible for this post. Thanks again for the insights. I appreciate your visit.

    ReplyDelete