Sunday, March 29

A Day in the Garden (March 29, 2009)


Once again, I spend my whole day re-potting plants from small to medium sized containers as they had been sprouting new plantlets and growing bigger by the day. I dig in the pots with my bare hands, worms and all.

But then again, I am surrounded by God’s gift to mankind. My surroundings invoke quietude unmatched by trips to the mall or movie tripping. Those two are short lived, eager to give enjoyment for a couple of hours. My plants gives me a sense of responsibility, and rewards me with a sense of accomplishment.

Once again, I took the needle like leafy plants to pull out dead leaves and trim brownish spots. I have fifty of these kinds so it means I spent a whole lot of time trimming them.

But then again, my patience was tested one more time. As I look and pull the dead grassy-like leaves, it gives me time to connect with myself as I ponder on what life I have. It serves as a meditating option as I recall and reflect life’s evil and the gift of living. And as I trim the brownish parts, I make recollection of the evil ways and thoughts I am harbouring towards myself and others. The act of cutting reminds me to trim life’s edges of hatred and envy. I must live anew.

Once again, I moved the variety of pots so that I can sweep the dead leaves away, a fave spot of snails and insects. I moved heavy pots and carried light ones to make way for the down to earth sweeper. I am rewarded with sore hands and back.

But then again, the heavy pots are reminders of the loads and loads of trials and challenges we might not be able to carry or muster with our strength. Though heavy, trying had been a recourse. The lighter ones remind me of the day to day annoyances and ranting that are now normal part of my existence. The broomstick is the prayer or the instrument to heal. Its function symbolizes the much needed push to cleanse our souls and renew our spirits. It is very religious.

2 comments:

  1. i have never thought that gardening could be a form of self-reflection...

    this reminded me of a line from the song 'sober' by kelly clarkson:

    "PICKED ALL MY WEEDS BUT KEPT THE FLOWERS"...

    have a nice day, jon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. not only for self-reflection but a source of strength and peace.

    the line from the song shows me-

    "when everyone keeps on seeing my mistakes, there is one who allows me to see my goodness."

    thanks again.

    ReplyDelete