Friday, March 6

We Are a Family II (March 06, 2009)


HBO's doing an Oscar marathon and one night I saw the movie Dreamgirls. I have this favourite song called Family and thus for this entry. I had been singing that when the movie came to the big screen last year. My former students can hear me humming the melody and singing the song unconsciously.

One day, one of the child wanted to do things his own way and he was being insistent. I explained that being in a large group might be intimidating for him so a small group was suggested. It did work! It seemed that he was lacking in confidence to do new things so he insisted on doing what he was good at without trying to learn something new for social purposes. The children made an effort to help out the child. We worked together and achieved a better result.

This situation was explained to the class by singing the lyrics to the song. During circle time, I told everyone that there were things that can be done individually and that there were things that we should do together. I also made a comment that we were a family.

We are a family like a giant tree,
reaching out to the sky (I changed this part)
We are a family we are so much more
than just you and I
We are a family like a giant tree,
growing stronger, growing wiser
we are growing free...

Our classroom was a microscopic unit of a group that relied on support and collaboration. The teachings and the learnings were intertwined with both groups working as a family unit. In the end, success was accomplished and lives were enriched, both the life of the teacher and the lives of his students.
We can lead and we can follow but best of all, we can work together to achieve something good.

6 comments:

  1. I thought I wouldnt enjoy dreamgirls til I saw it. I loved the songs.

    Yeah, I agree, there are things that are perfectly done individually... like daydreaming. lol!

    Jus remember though, that we have "family(ies)" to run to if we fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And there are things done better with someone else, lol!

    And when I get to visit your part of the world, you will adopt me for a day or two as a "family", right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't know. i wasn't able to to finish the movie. i was not in the mood i guess. i'll try to watch it again.. hehe!

    i agree. group dynamics could nurture teamwok and nourish individuality. :)

    you're a good teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the songs more than the movie. I like singing though I have no voice to match my love to sing.

    My school encourages collaboration rather than individual work thus we see skills built as well as camaraderie.

    Thanks for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I like singing though I have no voice to match my love to sing."

    ---it's alright. i dance in the shower. my dancing skills are horrible. hehe! let's express ourselves to our enjoyment. hehe!

    ---

    woah! you're musically talented too, i see. only gifted people could learn how to play just by listening. :)

    i agree. i can't imagine this world without music.

    ReplyDelete