Monday, August 13

An Awakening

I had the privilege to visit my cousin in Taiwan last month. She was gracious enough to let me stay in her place. Located on the fifth floor of an old building, the flight of stairs seemed so long once you climbed them carrying a heavy suitcase. Her room was a bit cramped, comparatively speaking, and the bathroom can be found outside. It was a shared facility with another person. There were litanies of do's and don'ts as how to operate the hot shower, the toilet flush, and the problem about drainage. It was very overwhelming.

When I was telling her stories from home, she warned me to speak softly as the partition between her and another occupant of the floor was just a piece of plywood. Then she turned her fan on for some breeze and out came this annoying sound of a fan needing either oil for lubrication or a change. There was neither readily available hot water nor utensils that were in place. It was out of my comfort zone. It was simplicity, spelled in and out.

I was ashamed of my frivolities and material gains back home since I am surrounded by comfort. My space is ten times her space or maybe more. I have some occasional help to do the garden and the house and a permanent driver to pick me up to go to school. My house is filled with my book collection spanning two rooms while I have another room just for dressing. I can sing and dance without worrying about how distant I am with my neighbours, yet all these for a price.

My cousin lives in peace and I don't. I may have a house but I can't call it home. She speaks highly of her family and I don't. She owes no one any money and I do. She lives a life that is simple yet well-directed by her goals and dreams. She extends her generosity to anyone despite the small space of her living quarter or her limited budget set for each month. She is indeed a role model. She knows how to balance her life: well-paying job, great friends, a close communion with God, and a simple lifestyle that brings comfort and gladness.

4 comments:

  1. u must be hapi kasi blessed ka pa rin with those things na meron ka, and i know u still have a great life :) magkaiba lang siguro talaga kayo ng sitwasyon ng cousin mo...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am blessed and I count my blessings everyday: my students, my job, my very few friends, my family, my health, and the comfort of my home.

    Yun nga lang, hindi ko maiwasang mag-compare and I learned so much from seeing and being in her situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I learned about blessings is that: "we are blessed differently because God uses us differently."

    Each blessing we receive serves a particular purpose (that we may somehow guess but only God would know exactly). And blessings are given according to how much we can manage. I, for one, cannot possibly manage a super simple one and an uber rich/ complicated one. Thus I'm only given a semi simple kinda blessing lol.

    di tayo nagkita pala :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo nga, but absence makes the heart forget, este, grows ponder. I will see you, don't worry, bumping you to first in my list next time I visit.

    I am already grateful for the smallest thing in life even your visit in here. There is a purpose why I bumped into your blog about your dad and then we started commenting back and forth. I am blessed to have you as a brother.

    ReplyDelete