Thursday, August 16

Two Summers

As a teacher, I am privileged to have two months of summer break per year. When I was teaching in a Chinese school, I opted not to teach the summer program and ended up being a translator in a Japanese owned multinational company.

I was an interpreter, making the rounds every morning helping out the workers understand what the Taiwanese engineers asked them to do. I also interpreted for the company's president during meets between management and production staff. It was fun, spending an hour every morning and an hour in the afternoon for meetings.

When I wasn't doing any translation, I walked around looking for misbehaviour amongst the production staff or immersed myself in doing some of the technical work such as mounting filaments or operating small machines.

I learned two things when I was there. I learned to be fair to everyone and be considerate of others' feelings thus changing some minor details during translations so as not to hurt sensitive feelings. I also learned how to deal with people, lots of them, and looked not into their differences from a high profiled owner, the middle management and the factory workers. Everyone is the same as long as they treat each other right. For me, it was a great experience.

My protective gloves, recently resurrected, were reminders of my "hands-on-learning experiences".

6 comments:

  1. ang saya naman ng experience as interpreter :) gusto ko yan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to do different things during the summer. Baka sa susunod, I will be on a study-work thing. Yehey! Nabasa ko nga yung entries mo on what you do during summers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha nahiya tuloy ako dahil wala naman talaga akong ginagawa tuwing summer kundi ang magplano... at di naman lahat natutupad haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eh sabi mo kasi walang suweldo every summer. To try different things aside from teaching during the break is a great thing: buy and sell, writing, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should be interesting, translating - at least you get a break from the usual teaching routine during your breaks...and get to meet and know more people too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Precisely my point: a break from what I usually do for ten months and a new experience. It's like learning while earning - money and friends.

    ReplyDelete