Wednesday, December 12

12-12-12

Must be an auspicious day so I am writing to commemorate the highlights of this year. As today marks the 12th of December, 2012 or 12/12/12, I will have to share twelve important things that happened this year as a way to celebrate, to be grateful for, and to reflect the best and not so best things in 2012.

1. It was the first time I didn't celebrate my birthday, not because I turned older but because there was no excuse to go out or have a party or simply indulge myself in pigging out. I opted for silence.

2. It was my first time to visit Siem Reap with two best people in the world. We have not seen each other for many years and to fly all the way from different parts of the world to see the ruins and enriched ourselves with the culture and history of Cambodia was exhilarating. I became young again.

3. I visited the Island of Chang (Elephant) and it was a welcome holiday treat after some gruelling work in school. The beach and the views were magnificent. I valued time.

4. It was my first time to visit Taipei and it was so great to meet former classmates as we gather together  in two different occasions for food and laughter. It was fun to see the many sights of Taiwan and to be with my cousin who is my awesome-mess relative by far. I renewed my friendships.

5. Snorkelling and visiting the natural environ of Bohol with two great people was a major endeavour during the summer. Seeing all those fantastic places including the dolphins and the giant turtles was all worth the walking, sitting down and waiting. I appreciated life's wonders.

6. Being surrounded by students who always love to be in my tutorials gave me some incentives to be a better teacher. I am constantly in the company of great children from Chile, Portugal, Armenia, Spain, India, America and Thailand. I gained trust and love.

7. As always, my constant quest to become my students' role model give me the challenges I need to pursue a concrete role as a teacher: to facilitate, to value and to love learning. I am bless to be in the company of children from Germany, New Zealand, America, Thailand, Japan, South Korea, Canada, Russia, Spain, and Malaysia. I built lives.

8. Having a support teacher this year to learn more about Project Work was welcoming. Though it means more work, the mere fact that I am learning again means that I am still growing as a teacher. I placed importance to growing as a person.

9. Hearing the great loss of my friend Joan and a former head of a school meant sadness and grief on my part. As I mentioned to one of my friends, their departure was like a part of me died as well. I re-evaluated my life.

10. When I decided to become generous, the people around me craved for more, and more until I cannot bear the burden. I gave up and became a prisoner of my own doing. Learning from this mistake, I vowed to be more giving but discerning. I learned to say, enough.

11. When school started this year, I was overwhelmed by the changes not only with the administration but also with the curriculum and the number of students in my class. The struggles went for some months until I saw the fruit of my labour, with the able support of my assistant. Thus, our work is rewarded by smart and loving children. I earned merit.

12. Deciding to stay put for Christmas and celebrating alone the joyous festivity meant a lot. Fortunately I was invited to be with two beautiful families where in one I get to attend Christmas Mass with them, while I get to have one wonderful dinner with another family. Staying put was my choice and I will be hoping for a better year, a better health and all that is good for me, my family, my friends and students. I wish for all that is best.


What a way to cap the year with 12 memories to cherish, to reflect and to grow.

2 comments: