Monday, December 31

It's Merit Making Time!

The New Year is coming and it is all about merry making. Being in a predominantly Buddhist country, I find it odd that people nowadays are more about celebrating the season on a more material level. There is a saying that Buddhism is moderation, not in excess and not too little. This is applicable in many things, from the food we take, from the frivolities of modern living and from the time we spend doing our work and personal affairs.

I, myself, do not practise moderation as I am always indulging in more work rather than taking care of myself. I opted for being busy to make myself forget many things, thus the regrets that follow after. I need to change my outlook, as well as my personal intention to distract myself rather than face the problems.

This coming year is a merry making time but wouldn't it be more valuable if we make it as merit making time. Instead of acquiring wealth but missing out family, we balance our goals in life. What is power without conviction? What is life without love? We can promise ourselves to become more active in helping people, in caring more for our environment, in building stronger ties with our families and friends, and in honing ourselves to perfection. We do good things to receive goodness in return. We make merits to gain rewards in heaven. We set a good goal make a strike. 

Happy Blessed Year 2013 to all!

9 comments:

  1. this post makes sense...

    pareho tayo ng saloobin sa pagdiriwang ng yuletide...

    I lurve merit making at dapat hindi lang pag may okasyon... sa tuwing kailangan... magandang gawi ito...

    happy new year sa iyo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. best of luck this upcoming year parekoy
    I enjoyed your blog this year looking forward for more this coming year
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    MORE POWER TO http://www.kruujon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Senyor,

    Mabuti naman at maraming magagandang puso tulad mo. Tumpak ka at hindi lang kapag birthdays or new years na gumawa ng merit. Happy New Year!

    Hello Jon,

    Happy New Year din sa iyo. Nawa'y maging masagana ang iyong buhay sa ibang bansa.

    Hello MEcoy,

    I will go back read your entries. I always learn many things from different people, young or old. Happy New Year!

    Hello Winzton,

    Thank you and Happy New Year as well.

    Hello Kula,

    Happy New Year din! Marami pa sanang travels this year, blog them so I can plan for my summer break. Thanks for the visits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well said:)
    I love your thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thought I will read some old posts.
    Good post, interesting.
    Balance things in life, face obstacles head on ! If it is difficult then address a fraction of the problem and try to solve it.
    Best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete