Saturday, September 15

Finding Jonathan (September 15,2007)


I was reading the book Crystal Heart with a student of mine who likes fairy tales and princesses. The book tells about the story of a princess who heard the singing voice of a man from a faraway distance as she is up in a tower. She became ill when she started to miss the singing voice, thinking it must be from a mandarin’s son. The only cure is for the man to sing again for her. Upon seeing the man in person, she laughed at herself saying how foolish she had been to fall in love with a man who is just a lowly fisherman.

This story reminded me of my early years when I was in the university and then on to my graduate school. I had been pursued by some because they knew I am academically inclined and not because I possess what you might call ‘handsome’ attributes. When I was working, I get to meet some people who were interested for some time until they learned I am a mere teacher. I have no car, I don’t have my own place and I earn a meager salary commensurate to a clerical worker.

People have choices and they chose someone far better than what I can offer. No regrets. But that was many years ago, times have changed. What have not changed is that I am still a teacher and had care not to the demands of those who wanted more money, more fame and more luxuries in life. And always remember, t
here is always a treasure in each and one of us. You just have to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment