Friday, September 7

A Gardener (September 08, 2007)


A few days ago, I heard a fellow teacher asking help if she can have pictures of vegetable gardens as she is interested in building a project in her school. I volunteered to bring a book to show her. Yesterday, while I was showing her one of my gardening books, she asked me how many children's books I have in my house, that is, if I have counted them. I told her I have around 1800 and more and that's just the children's literature. I also mentioned that I have 19 garden books at home, (but then I counted them when I went back and found out I have 26 books).

Anyway, what surprised me was her comment, "It does not strike me that you would love gardening and that you do gardening." Added question was, "where do you do your gardening?" I answered her that it is my passion to grow things from small beginnings. That I have a garden that seems to be a forest now because of its luscious greenery and bugs aplenty.

Later on that day, I put on my thinking cap asking myself, "How does a gardener looks like?" Further on, I asked myself, "How should a construction worker, an office person, a teacher, a banker, an engineer, an artist look like?" Sometimes, we are placed into specific moulds and are expected to act the role given to us but this I disagree. I maybe a teacher, but I am also a gardener, an artist, a stage actor and a business person. I maybe simple looking but I have a great spirit to explore, try and do things. And it is in doing what we like and enjoy that makes living a fuller experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment