Sunday, September 9

Star Quality (September 09, 2007)


As a shy person, I had the privilege to study with one of the most respected stage actors when I enrolled myself in acting. Assisting my teacher is an up and coming stage actor as well. On my first day, I was a little late as I cannot find the room where the acting classes were being held. I came in the door quietly and sat among the group.

After a week of grueling exercises, body explorations and transforming ourselves into the most imaginative objects, we were given a talk. It was a talk that I won’t be forgetting as long as I am alive.

The teachers started bombarding each and everyone with a litany of harsh words about behaviors, attitudes, approach in learning and the lingering laziness and lack of motivation among the participants. Afterwards, I was called and became the focal point of the entire meeting.

“Just look at Jonathan. When he entered the door the first day of classes, we looked at each other and said, “The nerd is here.” Holding a pen and a notebook, wearing glasses and having this lack of expression, he started the day with much enthusiasm and fervor. He is there every day and every minute of each and every exercise. He shines when he performs. He gives his best whether he is a mere passerby or a prop in a short exercise. He is what we wanted all of you to be. If you cannot be like him and are not dedicated to this craft, please do not come to class tomorrow.”

I was dumbfounded, speechless and cared not for the praises. I was afraid that my friends will disappear. I was scared that they will resent me. But they all came back the next day. They showed more interests. They showed more camaraderie. We became one strong group of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment