Tuesday, September 4

Languages (September 4, 2007)

I teach children coming from different countries and not everyone is conversant in the English language. My role is to make them part of the class by giving them opportunities to learn and explore and appreciate the language. In my experience, learning another language is an advantage as I speak a number as well.

In my class there is a little boy who is smart and well-mannered. He is lively and always has a good attitude towards school. However he goes home everyday and complains to his mum that no one had played with him in school. The problem lies in his ability or lack of ability to communicate and not because he is rude or unapproachable. My job now is to equip him with the right tools to be able to communicate and be part of the social play.

When I go to other countries, I like to assimilate myself especially in Asia as I look and speak a number of Asian languages. I feel good and in return, I get to gain friends as well. Learning a language is a good thing. It might be just fanciful in the beginning but in the long run, it is worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment