Monday, November 19

One Among Many (November 20, 2007)

It was during the accident that I realized a lot of things about people. I went back to the hotel wearing a cast and carrying two walking supports. I didn't make it the morning of the seminar but the organizers gave me a visit in my room. I attended the afternoon session and the remaining three days.

When handouts were given, the speaker asked the participants to get their copies from a table and that they were not enough for everyone. Of course, I wasn't able to get one. During coffee break, I was lining up along with many people. When it was my turn I asked for coffee and the server told me to go to the other side as cups and saucers were all gone. I was infuriated but kept my calm. When I went out of the hotel, I was given sneers by the people around and overheard them saying, "He can't walk yet he dare go around."

There was only one soul who helped me in one of my many times of neglect and self-pity. I didn't have the chance to get her name but I thanked her with all my heart. She saw me during the long queue for coffee and offered me one as she asked me to sit down and wait for her. Such a magnificent lady, the only one different among the 200 people who attended the seminar.

Now I know the feeling of those who are physically disadvantaged. It takes an accident for me to realized we are indeed very lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment