Monday, November 5

The Little Mermaid (November 05, 2007)


I have a copy of the book The Little Mermaid which was illustrated by Chihiro Iwasaki. I was in awe when I saw the illustrations and that was the primary reason why I bought this book. The subtle use of colors were observed all throughout the pages making it very dramatic in its presentation.

I have used this book with some of my students but it was just recently when I was bombarded with questions about being foam of the sea and having an immortal soul. These children were just below ten and their philosophical questionings gave me the opportunity to explain the facts without sounding religious.

The book reminds me of three things: the beauty of the sea, family relationships and eternal love. It reminds me of God and His amazing goodness.

3 comments:

  1. Aluhh. I am writing something re this. TLM remains a favorite, alongside The Happy Prince. Yes, I, too, am intrigued at the thought of becoming sea-foam. And this intense desire for an immortal soul.

    I like best her grandmother, who's very wise.

    I am curious about the illustrations. I hope to happen on this edition, one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember that you collect children's literature thus the liking. Excellent choice my friend, as the illustrations are indeed brilliant. I got seven more books three weeks ago and addition to my collection. I am hoping to collect more of the pop up ones by Robert Sabuda. He is a genius!

    ReplyDelete