Wednesday, November 7

A Dying Trait (November 7, 2007)


It had been a courtesy for me to greet everyone in my workplace a good morning everyday. It had been a habit since I am around people who are equally courteous. However, it baffles me why one of the people in my workplace do not reciprocate my greetings every morning, for five years now. Whew! That's long and still counting.

It must be me because I put a big bulk of importance towards morning greetings. And you may ask why. It is because as a preschool teacher, I put great importance in learning to greet each other in a polite manner. It is a must in my class.

When I was studying Chinese Philosophy, we were asked to debate whether the seeds of goodness are planted into us from birth or that goodness is acquired through daily living. There were many issues raised and many arguments tackled. This was many years ago.

In today's society, people had changed a lot. Gone are the days when people are friendlier, more polite, more emphatic toward others, and more caring. It is going to be a rough road for me to accept that goodness is no longer a virtue but a hindrance to succeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment