Tuesday, November 13

Traits to Treasure (November 13, 2007)



Recently, I met another beautiful lady through a friend I met in Inner Mongolia. They are actually sisters and both radiates beauty and intelligence. They are both products of an international school where I used to teach. Me, being one of the kindergarten teachers and them, as students in the primary grades.

There are three things that strike me during the short meet: their intelligence, their perspective in life and their humility. I have met a lot of people who are wealthy but very arrogant, who are beautiful but very snobbish, and who are intelligent but with boorish manners. These two sisters are millions of miles away from the definition of arrogance. They are honourable individuals. They are eye-openers for me.

When one is educated, it doesn't mean that he or she is a beacon of good manners. A degree doesn't earn you fine bearing. When one is beautiful, it doesn't mean that she is the same within. An elegant face does not guarantee a good heart. When one is popular, it doesn't mean that she or he is well-liked. Screaming and adoring fans does not make us heroes.

Let us be humble in our beginnings and in our own little ways. Let us be proud but subtle in our achievements and successes in life. Let us be more human than just mere person of this world. It is far better to live in silent greatness than exist in loud degradation.




















2 comments:

  1. I cried in your entry, and I never cry.

    K.T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm proud of my sister.. she's really something, eh? :)
    Haaaay, that entry was so warm, thank you. I laughed, though, because I remembered how before, I was nowhere close to being nice. But then I was severely humbled upon realizing the intensity of God's love for us--sending His own Son to die for our sins. So that we aren't left to do good works to be saved 'cuz people will end up boasting about their good works--or for me, I'm such a sinner that I would never be able to save myself haha. And by just believing in the death of Jesus, anyone and everyone can be saved! Now THAT is beautiful grace. How awesome.
    I've really been blessed and YOU are one of the most wonderful blessings ever. No joke--your stories and passions are truly inspiring.. c'mon back home, our people need you ;) Imagine all the kids in our provinces just waiting and thirsty to learn in ways only you can do.
    Thank you again Jon, I super praise God for you :)

    S. T.

    ReplyDelete