Tuesday, January 8

One Fine Student (January 08, 2008)


There is only one student in my many years of teaching that is still in contact with me. She was in my summer class when she was 5 and it made an impact to both of us as she learned how to write her name and I got to meet a very intelligent child.

She is now in high school meaning I am getting old. She still writes occasionally asking my whereabouts and how I am doing. I enjoy receiving and reading her mails. It is rare to find a student who acknowledges her strengths and success to her teachers.

Then I thought to myself if I had been as good as her, remembering the many teachers I had during my student days. I can only recall three who made an impact in my life. One was from my primary grades named Ms. Sibal while the other two were from my high school years, a speech and drama teacher (Mrs. Era) and a language teacher.

Ms. Sibal is an absolute delight as she is always fun and entertaining while maintaining a sense of direction and discipline. The other two high school teachers are brilliant as they encourage their students to do their best. Their words of wisdom and support are invaluable. They are models for me to follow.

So I bring to my class what I learned from them: dedication, spontaneity, creativity and my love for teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment