Thursday, March 6

Away From Home (March 6, 2008)

I have one girl in my class who is exceedingly great in many aspects. She is the eldest in the family and very independent. She often have things and ideas to share and she is indeed one of my very best.

The reason why I am blogging this student of mine is for me to remember her when I am much older. She reminds me of my relationship with my mum, moreso, with a child's relationship with their mothers.

It just so happen that her mum has to be away for work, meaning, her mum can't be with the family for quite some time. One afternoon, when she was picked up by her nanny, she bursted into tears and won't get in the car. She was crying out in the street and the nanny can't control her. I came out, carried her and gave her a hug. I asked the reason for the sudden outburst and she told me that she misses her mum. I gave her some assurance that she will, after some days (months to be exact) will have her mother by her side. I also gave her the assurance of an honest love from her teachers and friends until the day she'll leave us to follow her mother.

She left with her nanny and my heart was broken. I was so sad that afternoon and thought of the incident later at night. Children are children, they cannot tolerate long absence even if it means a few days. Besides, a mother is someone so special, they are in our minds all the time.

A child showed me the beauty and importance of my mum's presence. A mother is indeed irreplaceable.

1 comment: