Wednesday, March 26

Remembering Her (March 26, 2008)


As part of character building, I make it a point to introduce books that shows many different traits such as responsibility, punctuality, compassion, and others. One day, I chose to read a book from a series of book I have and this book was about dying.

The story was about a boy who loved going to school. Aside from attending school, he befriended the gardener of the school as he was interested in planting and growing plants and flowers. He would always help out when he could.

One day and for the remainder of the week, the boy was out of school. His friends were worried as he wasn’t the kind who would be out for a long time. After a week, the teacher gathered the children in her class and announced very gently, the death of the boy from a sickness. The children hugged the teacher and they all cried in unison. In his memory, the children planted the remainder of the seeds the boy left in his cubby hole. The children became more accepting and understanding.

Tears were running down my cheeks as I was reading the book to my children. They asked me why I was crying. I told the children that the book reminded me of a colleague in school who met an accident and died. She was with her husband when the tragedy struck. The children, who were students of mine, had no idea what had happened to their parents that fatal morning. To make it short, they were picked up by their grandparents few days later and they all flew back to their home country.

When her death was announced during our meeting, we all cried in the room because she was part of us. She was kind and eager to help and learn. She came to our school as a parent of our students and became a part of the faculty because of her ability to teach creative movement. She was one of my very first colleagues in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment