Thursday, March 27

Riding a Cab ( March 27, 2008)


I am a cab rider. I don't drive so the cab is my everyday mode of transportation. I had met some of the most polite drivers who even give me the wai ( hands placed together as if praying shown as a respect) and some of the most animated speakers both in English and Thai. I had spoken with a few who had shared their lives as we traversed around forty minutes of the road. I had also been a listener to the many woes about government or economic instability. I had been offered free rides, asked for special tutoring and befriended.

But of course, I had met some of the most boorish cab drivers around. There were some who were absolute complainers about the traffic situation. There were those who constantly sigh and murmur. There was even one who asked me to get off and walk, as it was a hassle for him to exchange his license for an entry card to get inside the posh village. There was one who wanted to borrow some money. Another one who wanted to sleep in my place and a couple of leg grabbers and giving me the 'touch'.

It is amusing to be inside one public transportation and experience all sorts of mischief and/or fruitful conversations. Cab drivers are indeed humans- happy, shy, disoriented, snobbish, and mischievous. I still have lots of stories to tell and I just find riding cabs an everyday adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment