Monday, June 4

Different Meanings


 I pointed to my foreign students that a thumbs up in Thailand means something else, that we are not in speaking terms, or that I am angry at you. When I asked some Thai students how they show the opposite of putting your thumb up, one Thai student pointed to his middle finger and I said, "Ah, ah, not that!"



I asked a student to draw a picture under the letter Z and the picture was a Zucchini. One American boy immediately reacted that the word is inappropriate. I was baffled so I asked if zucchini is a bad word and he said yes. I asked for the meaning and he said," It is something that covers the boobs and down here but the tummy shows, so it's inappropriate!" 


I was to read the book, The Carnival and I asked the children if they know the meaning of the word carnival. "Yes, it's something that eats meat!" 
The children returned to the classroom and I asked them to wash their hands so I said, "Those who came from art, please wash your hands." "Emm, wash your hands, you came from art class." "No!, I came from America!"


7 comments:

  1. hongtoroy. nahiya naman ako sa school ko haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hindi mo na sinagot kung may assistant ka ba.
    Madami pa akong kuwento but I cannot recall them, tumatanda na kasi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wala. public school lang kami sa pinas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A teacher shared these this morning to me.

    While showing the children a bowl of sugar, she asked what it was and they all replied, "Chicken!"

    And when another teacher asked what peanut butter is made of, a child raised his hand and said, "Coconuts!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahah english version to ng teacher's pwet ah. nice

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL at Zucchini. hahaha

    So, what's the opposite of putting your thumb up? lol

    ReplyDelete