Sunday, June 17

Range of Emotions:Greed

Greed is an evil menace lurking in each and every crevices of society. In politics, it is very predominant especially for those seated in different positions, newbies and old. The newspaper is always full of stories of government officials caught in circles of inappropriate pursuits of wealth, of status, and of power. This does not end in politics alone. It is also visible in workplaces, businesses, and even at the simplest entity of society, the family at home.

When we rise up from our beginnings of poverty, some stayed true to their persona as simple, decent and humble. Whilst others are quiet in their new positions, some does not stop from gathering more of what they acquired. When such acquisition goes beyond what is necessary or enough for oneself, it becomes greed.

A close friend of mine likes playing cards and when he goes with his friends, the moment he wins a card game, the more he plays. So does when he loses money, he gambles until he is penniless and asking for credit among those in attendance. There is an acquaintance of mine who seeks for more and more pleasure in life, though life is short, such adventures might lead him to even a shorter life.

I have not been greedy and cannot recall any stories worth blogging to cite an example of greed. I was always giving even with my last centavo, I give. When it is help in terms of doing home works or projects, I am always there and I never asked for any compensation unless it was an honoured deal that I get paid for such work. But I am greedy in my objective to acquire one possession I indulge myself into, books. I collect them and within the many years of teaching, I accumulated more than two thousand children's books, fiction to be exact.

I wanted to be greedy in terms of power, ambition, dreams, money and wealth but there is no use to be. I lead a life where I am contented with simplicity. Some don't like simple living and others will tell me I am but ordinary. I don't harm anyone from my ambition nor trample on other's lives to succeed. Greed is a bad seed and a seed I never wanted to plant in my life's garden.

2 comments: