Thursday, June 28

Uninvited


When I attended a party in my honour, I looked into the attendees if all were there and was surprised to find that all the Thais were not in attendance. I asked the organizer if she invited everyone and I was told yes. It just so happened that all four absentees were busy that day.


I was appalled when I learned in another class that everyone was invited to a children's party except for one. I was shocked that one little child was left uninvited because she wasn't favoured by the celebrant. 


These two things reminded me of four different occasions of my existence as a person. When I was in high school, I learned that all my closest friends went on a field trip without me being invited. When I was in my former school, one teacher asked everyone in the room for a game of badminton except me. When I worked in a Thai school, the local teachers went for a trip excluding me not knowing that I understand the Laos language when they were planning for it. And in my recent school, I learned from a teacher that they all went to her birthday party. The celebrant mentioned it to me saying, "It was the best since all my friends were there!"


Exclusion is a no-no, inclusion is. So when I see a child lost in school, I lend a helping hand. When I see a child being bullied, I know it hurts. When I see a child playing alone, I know the feeling. For I see myself in those individuals and I know that one day, just like me, they will also be able to stand on their own, hurting yet accepting of man's indifference and choices in life. My perspective just doesn't gel with others. I remain invisible but with so much heart toward others. I make good choices and I choose not to be like them. 


The tree grasped the pillars of the temple, with its roots and all. Uninvited yet still visible and standing strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment