Wednesday, August 29

Picking Up the Pieces (August 29, 2007)


I am amazed at how some parents would give their young children something of an excess and think that it is good parenting. I am talking about learning academics. I have met a lot of people whose concern in their young child's growth is the learning of the ABC's and numbers.

I grew up in a very strict family whose main concern is not that of education. However, I have to say that I came from a very academic school where I have to learn four languages from my preschool up to high school. Then I entered a university where I have to do two other languages aside from the two languages used in class. I have to say that it was exhausting to be a student.

I always wish that young children be given a chance to feel like children. That they be given the freedom to play instead of attending tutorial classes. That they be given the chance to interact and socialize instead of sitting and writing compositions as homework. That they be given a chance to be with nature instead of being crammed in special classes in piano, math, and the like.

I do not like to be a child again. But I wanted to go back so that I can live my lost childhood to the fullest and be happy.

2 comments:

  1. haha I got your point Jonathan but we are in the opposite sides. WHile you grew up into a strict and very comprehensive prvate schools, I went to public schools all my life.
    Sometimes I wish my parents sent me to a better school with better teachers and learning opportunities like the ones you have.For instance, I always dream to learn another language and play musical instruments but I never had the chance. By that I mean it's wasn't given to me as an option. There are also times that I think I wish I have spent some of my childhood years studying instead of playing.I do not have the best childhood and I have so many painful experiences at that time,but I never had any regrets.
    I cannot speak for you as I am not you. I can only with you a happier life :)

    love lots,
    Tin
    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been back reading eh. This is 2007, you've gone a long way. :)

    ReplyDelete