Saturday, December 8

Mocking (December 08,2007)

I have a watch that I bought from an open market. It doesn’t cost much and I thought of wearing it as an everyday accessory. One time, I was asked by an acquaintance for dinner and so I went to meet this person. We were chatting when he noticed my watch and started chuckling.

“Why are you wearing a watch like that?” he blurted. I asked him if there is something wrong. “It’s so cheap and I can’t imagine you wearing it.” I answered him that a watch for me is for telling time and not for others to see. A brand doesn’t have anything to do with it, the function is more important.

I still wore the watch even after that incident until my watch broke. It was my constant companion. It gave me the correct time so I can be in my scheduled meets. It gave me the time so I can be in my respective class on the dot. It made me arrive minutes before so I wasn’t late.

It sure helps to strap myself with a pricey watch or a branded one but it does not really matter. I won’t be spending so much money for a watch that will make my acquaintances envy me, talk about it, or be stolen by thieves. Function before presentation.

Come to think of it, the wealthy and educated friends I have are into simplicity. They wear unbranded things, yet so sophisticated and elegant in both speech and manners. Yet the ones that are constantly in need of help and support are the one who mocks. What a pity!

No comments:

Post a Comment